Monday, January 16, 2012

HOW TO DRESS IT UP

My favorite thing to do at a fabric store is to mix several types of prints together with different shades. I selected this combination of fabric with no project to create at the time, but I knew I just had to have it.
SOOOO this weekend with it being -10 degrees here in Northern Maine I knew I just had to bring some sunshine to a very cold weekend.
I knew I wanted to make a dress with these fabrics so I searched through all my patterns to create just the right look.
I started with a basic bodice from the book "Little Girls, Big Style" using the white print and then created the skirt using the grey fabric and measured the length I wanted by 19w.
For this one it was 2 @17L x 19W for the skirt part of the dress.  
I wanted just the basic straps as the dress would just be a pull over.
I added a ruffle as the hem of the dress by cutting the yellow fabric 2 @ 4 1/4 x 39 1/2, folded it in half and serged it to the bottom hem of the dress.
Now we could be gone with this cute little dress and it would still be just as adorable BUT!!! Lets DRESS IT UP!!!!
I used the yellow fabric next to make a peasant top to be placed under the dress for the colder season. The pattern I used for the undershirt is one I found on "Fairytale Frocks and Lollipops" by the designer  "Monkeybugs" "Sweet Petticoat Slip Dress".
I did however modify it by making it a shirt and not a full slip

Can you say ADORABLE!!

I also took some of the remnant from the gray fabric to make a pinwheel flower that was glued to a clasp pin so that I could take it off when I wanted to change the look.


 

Now we have the two items to combine them together for a new look. LETS DRESS IT UP!!!


Now how adorable it that!!
For one more look I had some beautiful black velvet ribbon that I made a sash to wear with the dress. I took off the flower and removed the yellow shirt and now it has a touch of elegance with just the sash.
So many looks from just combining several patterns or modifying some that you have to achieve the look you want.

LINKED PARTIES



Positively Splendid


5 comments:

  1. How very creative... different looks for different seasons. Each version is adorable!!! I do so love the colour combinations of greys and yellows with black. I would love for you to share this (and any other dresses) at my ongoing linky that's exclusively for Girls' Dresses...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-dresses-for-girls.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute little outfit,well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. All little collection of the dress code is look so fabulous.This all dress is so cute.

    Rural Shed

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute,thanks for sharing!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete