Friday, August 1, 2014

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMB PIE

 
I just love any type of Rhubarb pie. It could be any combination with blueberries, raspberries, peaches, strawberries or a mixture of them all. However, by far my best recipe is my delouse strawberry rhubarb pie.
 
Those that have tasted this delouse pie have asked for the recipe, so I thought I would share it on my blog.
 
 
 
 


BOTTOM CRUST
I start with my pie crust. Yes I use the box jiffy pie crust. I love the flaky crust it makes. Prepare it as you would from the boxes directions. You can also make any homemade pie crust. The key to any good pie "I found out after many fails" is to cook the bottom crust before you put any pie filling in.
 
Once you have prepared you crust. Place it in a nine inch pie plate. Be sure to chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
 
Once chilled you will cook it for 15 minutes at 400°F
You will Line the chilled crust with a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil.  Fill the center with uncooked white rice, dried beans, or pie weights.
Remove the weights and foil and reduce the heat to 350°F.
Lightly brush the crust with a beat egg to get the flakiness of the crust
Continue to bake until the crust is lightly browned on the edges and on the bottom, about 20 minutes.
 
Take out at let cool on a rack while you prepare the pie filling.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




PIE FILLING
 
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
  • 3 Cups rhubarb cut into small pieces
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries (you can substitute here any fresh fruit)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and add to the pie crust
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




CRUMB TOPPING
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 stick of butter (chilled and cubed into little pieces)
Combine both the sugars and flour, once all mixed you will then add the butter in and being sure that the butter is coated very well.
Add to the top of the pie.
 
Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F
Let cool for an hour before serving.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment