Tuesday, October 18, 2011

PEASANT DRESS


I was once again shopping at "MARDENS" yes my favorite surplus store in all of Maine. They had this Awesome book for $3.99 full of sewing instructions and the patterns to create little girls Boutique clothing by Mary Abreu.


I decided to try my hand at the Peasant dress with the ruffled layers. At first I looked at all the patterns and measurements and thought ahhhhh piece of cake. NOPE the ruffled layers a little more challenging than I thought.

After several tries and broken ruffled stitches I almost gave up. Then it hit me !!!! DON'T sew a long ruffle stitch along the whole piece but quarter it and pin it then run a straight ruffle stitch.

So I thought I would share how I did it with everyone.

I already added the green bottom layer to the layers. That layer was done the same way I will explain below.

RUFFLED ATTACHMENT INSTRUCTIONS
I first line up the piece one on top of the other the bottom layer wrong side out and the top right side out.


Once I have the layers matched up I then fold the bottom black and green layers in half


I then make creases on each of the ends as this will be used as my center marks to match up for my quarter sections


Now open up the bottom layer to start matching the marks


Pin the right end section of the bottom layer to the right end of the top layer


Next the front centers


Then the left ends


Lastly the back center and you now have your 4 quarter sections pinned and ready to start your straight long stitch to create the gathering for each section.


Place each section in your sewing maatching and do a long stitch or following your machines stitching directions to create ruffle or gathering.


I hope this was helpful in constructing a garment that has severals rows of long gathers


I finished off the Peasant dress with a cute fabric bow


LINKY PARTIES



2 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [18 Oct 09:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [29 Oct 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete